SPA 102 - Elementary Spanish II
Continuation of SPA 101 with emphasis on basic language skills for communication and on cultural aspects to promote understanding and appreciation of Hispanic cultures. A companion course, SPA 112, is strongly recommended for improving comprehension and oral fluency, especially for students transferring to a four-year institution.
Prerequisite: SPA 101 or successful completion of the New York State regents exam, the equivalent or permission of the instructor. Memory and length of time since last studied are factors in successful placement.
SUNY General Education: SUNY-FL - Foreign Language (SFRL)
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH), MCC-BCO - Speaking (MBCO)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify whether a conjugated verb in Spanish is in the present or the preterite tense.
2. Differentiate the meanings of the direct and indirect object pronouns in a given sentence.
3. Describe a past event in Spanish using the preterite and imperfect tenses.
4. Accurately ask and respond to questions dealing with scheduling and daily activities.
5. Answer questions after listening to Spanish-spoken narrative, dialogue, or conversation.
6. Answer questions concerning a specific reading passage.
7. Identify the contributions of Hispanics/Latinos in the arts and politics.
8. Identify basic facts associated with Spanish-Speaking countries.
Course Offered Fall, Spring