GEO 102 - Historical Geology
Historical Geology is the study of the history of Earth and life through time. It addresses the Earth's origin, evolution, changes in the distribution of lands and seas, growth and destruction of mountains, succession of animals and plants through time, and the developmental history of the solar system.
Prerequisite: GEO 101 or permission of instructor.
New SUNY General Education:
SUNY - Natural Sciences (and Scientific Reasoning)
MCC General Education: MCC-CT - Critical Thinking (MCT), MCC-SCI - Scientific Reasoning (MSCI)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Summarize the formation of the solar system.
2. Infer changes in sea level from stratigraphic sections.
3. Summarize the evolution of oceans and continents on the early Earth.
4. Identify collected fossil specimens.
5. Identify structures on geologic maps using strike and dip data.
6. Reconstruct ancient environments using rock hand samples.
Course Offered Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023