BUS 220 - Applied Business Applications
A case study approach to the use of office productivity software to solve business problems and manage business processes. Emphasis will be on the use of spreadsheet and database applications to analyze data. Word processing and presentation software will be used to document and present solutions. Several major projects will be assigned to be completed outside of class. Students will integrate skills from all four applications to develop and present a business proposal based on a business case study. Additional course topics include file management, an introduction to major computer hardware components, system and application software, and network technologies. This course requires the use of the Windows version of Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Access, which is not available for the Macintosh version of Office.
Prerequisite: BUS 104 with a grade of C or higher
MCC General Education: MCC-TL - Technological Literacy (MTL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Manage data (add, delete, or update records) in an existing relational database.
2. Apply business functions using a spreadsheet application for the purpose of business performance analysis.
3. Apply word processing software to develop a business proposal based on a business case study.
4. Apply spreadsheet software to develop a business proposal based on a business case study.
5. Apply database software to develop a business proposal based on a business case study.
6. Create a business proposal presentation.
7. Describe the major hardware components of a computer system.
8. Describe the major software components of a computer system.
9. Describe how data is represented and stored in a computer system.
10. Describe the major hardware components of a computer network.
11. Describe the major software components of a computer network.
12. Discuss the use of internet technologies in a computer network.
13. Utilize effective file management skills.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023