ENG 200 - Advanced Composition
Course focuses on written analysis, oral discourse, evaluation, argument and research. Assignments develop depth and proficiency in using language. Basic composition skills are assumed. This course may not be taken concurrently with ENG 101.
Prerequisite(s): SAT reading & writing score of 600 or higher, or ACT 26 or higher, or ELA regents 85 or higher, or high school GPA 90 or higher, or ENG 101 with a C or higher.
New SUNY General Education:
SUNY - Communication - Written and Oral
SUNY - Information Literacy Competency
MCC General Education: MCC-BCO - Speaking (MBCO), MCC-BCW - Writing (MBCW), MCC-IL - Information Literacy (MIL), MCC-TL - Technological Literacy (MTL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Employ advanced critical reading strategies to analyze the context, rhetorical techniques, substance, potential bias, and intended effects of information and ideas.
2. Apply advanced rhetorical strategies in written and oral texts to inform, persuade, or otherwise engage diverse audiences.
3. Develop advanced composition processes (generating ideas, drafting, revising, and editing) to improve sophisticated written texts and oral communication recursively.
4. Apply advanced research methods and techniques, including the evaluation of secondary source material, towards the composition of both a thesis-driven, source-based essay and oral presentation.
5. Demonstrate a nuanced, in-depth understanding of the ethical treatment of information.
6. Develop valid arguments using methods such as the Aristotelian, Rogerian, and Toulmin paradigms.
7. Apply and adopt audience-appropriate sentence and paragraph-level conventions, such as grammar, mechanics, and structure, while developing more advanced considerations of style and tone.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023