DEN 114 - Dental Hygiene I
An introduction to dental and dental hygiene practice; basic concepts, methods materials and techniques of dental hygiene care.
Prerequisite: Minimum grade of C is required in this course to continue in the program for DEN students.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe ergonomic principles related to the practice of dental hygiene.
2. Identify the principles of instrument design.
3. Identify oral soft and hard deposits.
4. Collect and record patient histories.
5. Describe medical conditions relevant to dental practice.
6. Identify the potential for medical emergencies in the dental office.
7. Describe the characteristics of a thorough oral facial examination.
8. Contrast the characteristics of healthy and unhealthy gingiva.
9. Identify common dental restorations and materials.
10. Identify the armamentarium for polishing.
11. Describe the procedures for polishing.
Course Offered Fall