XRT 153 - Clinical Education III
A continuation of XRT 152. This course is designed to involve students in supervised direct delivery of diagnostic radiographic services at an assigned clinical education center. A structured clinical learning plan enables the student to gain experience in standard routine procedures and gradually move through mastery learning toward competent clinical attitudes and skills development. Additional laboratory focus is on mammography including competency testing.
Prerequisites: XRT 122 and XRT 152 with a grade of C or better, and PHY 141.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Competently perform a minimum of fifteen radiographic procedures on patients in the clinical setting under the direct supervision of a licensed radiographer.
2. Apply general radiation safety and protection practices associated with radiographic procedures.
3. Perform image acquisition and processing using current and emerging technologies.
4. Demonstrate skills in patient verification, education, care, protection and safety in the clinical setting.
5. Model the role of a radiologic sciences professional by demonstrating ethical behavior, using scientific terminology and developing an awareness of cultural factors that necessitate adapting standard radiographic exam protocols.
6. Evaluate radiographic images in concordance with standards for image quality, identification of artifacts, and formulation of corrective actions.
7. Develop team building skills by participating in a group project on a topic focused on valuing diversity and develop public speaking skills by presenting findings on the team's diversity issue.
8. Build on patient care skills through a variety of activities in the laboratory including to establish and maintain a sterile field; simulate a pediatric chest procedure; recognize various tubes and catheters and their functions; simulate procedures dealing with the trauma patient, EKG, vital signs and communicable diseases.
Course Offered Summer
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023