CPT 101 - Introduction to Computing
A gentle introduction to basic computing concepts including programming in the Python Language. Topics in computer architecture, operating systems, networking, and software development will be explored. A thorough analysis of data representation, number systems and computer algorithms will be completed. Also a history of computers and computer languages will be discussed. During the introduction of these topics students will be instructed in the use of the python programming language. Python is a high-level, interpreted object oriented programming language with built in data structures. This course utilizes an electronic-classroom setting to introduce the beginner or curious programmer to Python and basic programming concepts through a series of practical hands-on exercises interlaced with the discussion material.
MTH 104 with a grade of C or better, or MCC level 8 mathematics placement.
MCC General Education: MCC-TL - Technological Literacy (MTL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Communicate effectively on general topics relating to computing including data manipulation, operating systems, or networking. .
2. Identify primary components of a computer system.
3. Convert values to and from the binary number system.
4. Design algorithms to solve mathematical problems.
5. Apply common built-in Python language functions and structures to solve problems.
6. Apply techniques of the software development life cycle to create Python modules or applications that adhere to required specifications.
7. Utilize the interactive Python environment to debug Python modules and applications.
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023