LAW 101 - Fundamentals of the Law
A study of how civil and criminal law governs society. Purchases, leases, contracts, divorces, environmental issues, and criminal offenses will be explored. Emphasis will be on development of those skills necessary to recognize and better deal with common legal problems to be confronted throughout adult life.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify the major factors in choosing and working with an attorney.
2. Compare and contrast civil and criminal law.
3. Describe New York State and federal court structures.
4. Describe sources of law.
5. Explain the U.S. jury system.
6. Explain the path of typical criminal or civil court cases.
7. Explain real estate transfers and lease transactions.
8. Identify the requirements of a valid marriage in New York and describe how a marriage is dissolved.
9. Identify the elements of a valid contract and describe protections available for consumers.
10. Explain using cases or examples how the United States and New York State Constitutions affect our lives.
11. Explain common estate planning processes and documents.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2020