COM 230 - Scriptwriting
Review and practice of the requirements for writing professionally formatted scripts used in short and feature films. Emphasis will be placed on writing short-form scripts and analyzing and discussing long-form dramatic scripts.
Prerequisite: ENG 101 or ENG 200.
MCC General Education: MCC-BCO - Speaking (MBCO), MCC-BCW - Writing (MBCW), MCC-CT - Critical Thinking (MCT)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Discuss the key elements that comprise the structure of dramatic writing
2. Demonstrate a sense of story-telling through the cinematic tradition
3. Explain the parts of a good story and script and how they work together
4. Review and analyze films and scripts to detail where they succeed and where they fail
5. Confidently write a synopsis, outline, treatment and short dramatic script
6. Correctly use the proper scriptwriting format as it conforms to industry standards
Course Offered Fall, Spring