ECO 110 - Personal Investing
This course is about making money. You will learn the "ins" and "outs" of investing in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. You will simulate investing using current market data to choose the best stock and bond mutual funds. Learn to use tax advantaged methods of investing, such as 401K plans and IRA's to help your money grow. Additional investment choices will be examined, such as real estate, options, and collectibles. Upon completion of the course, you will have an understanding of Wall Street, the Dow Jones, and various financial markets.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Understand and demonstrate knowledge of the workings of Wall Street, the New York Stock Exchange and buying/selling individual stocks.
2. Develop screens to choose a mutual fund based on individual criteria.
3. Articulate the basics of investing in bonds and bond funds.
4. Calculate the costs of investing in real estate and choosing the best location.
5. Utilize the knowledge of ETF to compare and contrast it with mutual funds.
6. Differentiate the aspects of various retirement accounts including 401K, SEP and IRA's.
Course Offered Fall, Spring