FPT 103 - Building Materials and Construction
Fundamentals of building construction methods and materials of construction. The approach is to study the stability of buildings and materials under fire conditions. The emphasis is upon safety under fire conditions and the technology of limiting fire spread in new and existing buildings.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate an understanding of building construction as it relates to firefighter safety, building codes, fire prevention, code inspection, and firefighting strategy.
2. Classify major types of building construction.
3. Analyze the hazards and tactical considerations associated with the various types of building construction.
4. Explain the different loads and stresses that are placed on a building and their interrelationships.
5. Identify the principle structural components of building and demonstrate an understanding of the functions of each.
6. Differentiate between fire resistance and flame spread, and describe the testing procedures used to establish ratings for each.
7. Identify the indicators of potential structural failure as they relate to firefighter safety.
Course Offered Fall, Spring