GEO 103 - Great Mysteries of the Earth
This course investigates Earth mysteries to gain an understanding of the differences between science and pseudoscience. The student will learn and use critical thinking skills, logic, and the scientific method of inquiry to better understand allegedly unexplainable phenomena. This course will investigate topics related to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, extinction events, early engineering structures, plate tectonics, climate concerns, legendary creatures and enigmatic landforms.
MCC General Education: MCC-SCI - Scientific Reasoning (MSCI)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain factors that affect the Earth's climate.
2. Use the plate tectonic theory to explain geologic activity.
3. Critically analyze an argument with an objective viewpoint.
4. Differentiate between a hypothesis and a scientific theory.
5. Develop a testable hypothesis.
6. Compare modern scientific findings to other interpretations of the natural world.
7. Analyze claims using deductive reasoning.
8. Differentiate between natural and human-induced climate change.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2020