ESL 100 - English for Speakers of Other Languages-Intermediate II: Reading Focus
This course emphasizes the development of reading comprehension of authentic, non-fiction material at the upper intermediate level and includes vocabulary study and discussions of current events in relation to American culture. Class and small group instruction.
Prerequisite: Score of 43-53 on CELSA placement test.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain main ideas in nonfiction articles.
2. Distinguish between main ideas and supporting details in nonfiction articles.
3. Organize main ideas and supporting details in graphic organizers.
4. Summarize nonfiction articles.
5. Identify the source, audience, and purpose of a reading.
6. Use select academic vocabulary words appropriately.
7. Employ appropriate strategies for handling unfamiliar academic vocabulary.
8. Use tone and register appropriate for an academic setting.
9. Take notes from a lecture or text.
Course Offered Fall, Spring