HUM 207 - Skills for Working with Family Violence Issues
This course will provide an introduction to legal, medical, and social perspectives on family violence issues. It will examine the definitions/types, controversies, and nature/scope of family violence. It will also examine the factors which contribute to and consequences of family violence from the legal, medical, and social perspectives. Students will develop, discuss, analyze, and practice working with issues of family violence in class.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Examine the legal, medical, and social perspectives on violence issues within family systems.
2. Evaluate the definitions, causes, and effects of violence on individuals and families.
3. Examine perpetrator, victim, survivor, and family system dynamics related to violence.
4. Participate in a group presentation examining the legal, medical, and social perspectives on one of the specific areas of violence within the family.
5. Identify skills required in working with individuals and families with histories of family violence.
Course Offered Fall, Spring