MTH 096 - Algebra for Statistics
A basic algebra course designed to prepare students for MTH 160 (Statistics I) or MTH 162 (Statistics for the Social Sciences) at MCC. It is only for students who need MTH 160, MTH 161 or MTH 162 as the terminal mathematics course in their program and place at Mathematics Level 4, 5, or 6. It is not for students who need to take MTH 104 or MTH 165 (or higher). Topics include, but are not limited to, arithmetic operations on real numbers, solving linear equations and inequalities, simplifying expressions containing integer exponents, simplifying square roots and finding decimal approximations, graphing linear equations, an introduction to function notation, and appropriate applications of these topics.
MCC level 4 mathematics placement or higher or TRS 094 with a grade of C or better.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Evaluate an expression by applying the priority of operations.
2. Solve first degree equations in one variable.
3. Solve literal equations.
4. Simplify expressions involving integer exponents.
5. Graph linear equations on the Cartesian coordinate system.
6. Solve systems of linear equations in two variables.
7. Solve applications involving linear equations.
8. Solve applications involving linear inequalities.
9. Solve and graph linear inequalities in one variable.
10. Graph linear inequalities in two variables.
11. Determine the domain and range of functions written as a correspondence or a set of ordered pairs.
12. Determine the domain and range of functions graphically.
13. Evaluate a function, expressed in function notation, for a specified input value.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023