HVA 103 - Heating Systems
Servicing modern heating systems, whether they are gas, electric or oil, requires a thorough understanding of basic heating concepts. This course provides the student with the technical knowledge as well as the laboratory skills to begin their career in heating service.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain how basic heating systems create heat.
2. Describe how heating systems distribute heat.
3. Explain the basics of good and bad combustion.
4. Outline the basic order of operations for a complete heating cycle in forced air heating systems.
5. Interpret electrical heating system control diagrams.
6. Identify common furnace safety controls.
7. Describe the function of common furnace controls.
8. Outline the functions of thermostats.
9. Check and adjust furnace settings.
10. Install furnaces according to manufacturer instructions.
11. Start and test furnaces according to manufacturer instructions.
12. Identify proper combustion venting systems.
13. Evaluate combustion air requirements for proper combustion.
Course Offered Fall