HIM 111 - CPT Procedural Coding System
This course will emphasize the American Medical Association's Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding system. Course work will focus on introductory outpatient coding with emphasis on evaluation and management, and surgery. Coding exercises will reference documentation guidelines and application of coding and reporting guidelines for outpatient services.
Prerequisite: HIM 110 with a minimum grade of C, or permission of instructor.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Apply outpatient diagnosis/procedure codes according to current guidelines.
2. Evaluate the accuracy of outpatient diagnostic and procedural coding by reviewing medical information.
3. Analyze outpatient claim forms for proper code assignment to understand how code sequencing impacts payment.
4. Utilize software in the completion of HIM processes.
5. Explain payment methodologies for the use of data required in outpatient healthcare reimbursement.
6. Analyze current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classifications systems.
7. Identify discrepancies between supporting documentation and coded data.
Course Offered Spring