CIS 100 - Information Processing Fundamentals
This is an introductory course in digital computers and information processing concepts. The focus of this course will be on key components of information systems - people, software, hardware, data, and communication technologies, and how these components can be integrated and managed to create competitive advantage. Additional topics include computer terminology, networks, the Internet, numbering systems, working with operating systems that use graphical user interface (GUI) and command-line interface, algorithm and program development, pseudo code and flow charting. Students will develop professional communication skills while working in collaborative teams. Students will meet in a networked PC classroom for lab and will be assigned projects to be completed outside of class and laboratory time. Successful completion of this course with a grade of C or better is required for further progress in Computer Information Systems degree programs.
Prerequisite: MTH 104 with a grade of C or better, or MCC level 8 mathematics placement.
MCC General Education: MCC-TL - Technological Literacy (MTL), MCC-VE - Values and Ethics (MVE)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify the major components of an information systems infrastructure.
2. Identify potential information systems career tracks.
3. Evaluate ethical concerns that information systems raise in society.
4. Explain the role of emerging technologies in society.
5. Explain the role information systems has played in the evolution of globalization.
6. Explain how information systems enable new forms of commerce.
7. Convert signed numbers between the decimal, binary and hexadecimal number systems.
8. Formulate an algorithm that uses sequence, decision, and repetition control structures.
9. Express an algorithm in pseudo code or flowchart format.
10. Work effectively in a collaborative team.
11. Communicate research results.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023