SPC 140 - Introduction to Speech Communication
A survey of the major concepts of speech communication. This course will provide an introduction to interpersonal skills (perception, listening, verbal and nonverbal communication); public speaking (organization, delivery and basic speech writing); and small group communication (leadership, assertiveness and listening). Emphasis is on the application of these basic concepts in the personal, academic and professional lives of students.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Apply the principles of public speaking using delivery skills that support a specific message.
2. Critique speeches through assertive written feedback.
3. Apply active listening components in conversation.
4. Use assertive skills in a group setting to respond to conflict.
5. Apply key concepts of effective group facilitation through a group presentation on an assigned topic.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Spring Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023