CIT 206 - Soil and Concrete Testing
The study and laboratory testing of soils and concrete. Topics include the nature of soils, soil testing, plain concrete, asphalt concrete, and aggregates. The laboratory covers field and lab tests including soil and aggregate graduation, specific gravity, soil compaction, soil liquid limit and plastic limit, soils shear, concrete proportioning, slump, air content, compression testing and inspection.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain the nature and properties of soils.
2. Interpret soil test data and operate soil test equipment.
3. Classify and test both soils and aggregates by gradation, specific gravity, unit weight, moisture content.
4. Define the nature and use of both asphalt and Portland cement concrete.
5. Demonstrate the ability to perform applicable ASTM/ACI lab tests.
6. Define the inspection requirements for the handling, testing, placing, curing and finishing of concrete.
Course Offered Fall