MUS 124 - Guitar Class I
An introductory course in the fundamentals of guitar playing, designed for the beginning student. A dual approach to the instrument will be taught: 1) as an accompaniment for singing; the student will learn chords, progressions, strums, and finger-picking; 2) as a solo instrument; the student will learn the fundamentals of reading music, as applied to the guitar; e.g. staff-notation, meters, rhythms, scales, positions with emphasis on developing dexterity. Students must provide their own guitars.
SUNY General Education: SUNY-A - The Arts (SART)
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Memorize guitar strings, chords and scales.
2. Understand and demonstrate how to tune the guitar.
3. Interpret different folk songs.
4. Perform basic classical guitar repertoire.
5. Make up simple blues improvisations.
Course Offered Fall, Spring