ENG 101 - College Composition
A course emphasizing college-level, source-based writing (summary, analysis, synthesis, research), with special attention to critical reading, thinking, and oral communication skills. Students will draft, revise, and edit multiple thesis-driven essays. They will also study and practice argument and persuasion in written and oral communication.
Prerequisite(s):High school GPA of 80 or higher, OR completion of TRS 200 or ESL 201 with a C or higher, OR Directed Self-Placement facilitated by TRS and English faculty Co-requisite(s): Students with a high school GPA of 71-79, OR completion of TRS 100 with a C or higher, OR a directed self-placement determining they should do so should enroll in TRS 099 as a corequisite.
New SUNY General Education: SUNY - Communication - Written and Oral, SUNY - Information Literacy Competency
Retiring SUNY General Education: SUNY-BC - Basic Communication (SCOM)
MCC General Education: MCC-BCO - Speaking (MBCO), MCC-BCW - Writing (MBCW), MCC-IL - Information Literacy (MIL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Reading: Employ critical reading, analytical, and interpretive strategies towards rhetorical techniques, information, and ideas within a variety of written and oral texts.
2. Rhetoric: Apply various rhetorical strategies in written and oral texts (regarding content, organization, genre, and language) to suit diverse, specific audiences, contexts, and/or purposes.
3. Composing: Develop composition processes (generating ideas, drafting, revising, and editing) to improve written and oral communication recursively.
4. Researching: Apply effective research methods and techniques, including the evaluation of secondary source material and ethical treatment of information, towards the composition of research-based projects.
5. Conventions: Apply and adapt sentence and paragraph-level conventions, such as grammar, mechanics, style, structure, and tone to intended audiences and contexts.
Course Offered Fall; Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023