FPT 105 - History of the Fire Service
This course examines the historical evolution of the American fire service. The fire service has its roots in ancient Roman and European societies and has been shaped in the United States by historical fire events, improvement in equipment and technology, and notable leaders and innovators. An understanding of how it developed provides insight into its current structure, operation, and culture.
SUNY General Education: SUNY-AH - American History (SAMH)
MCC General Education: MCC-SSD - Social Science and Diversity (MSSD)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Summarize the historical evolution of the American fire service.
2. Describe how major fire events have influenced modern firefighting.
3. Discuss how historical fire service leaders have shaped the modern fire service.
4. Describe major innovations that have shaped the modern fire service.
5. Evaluate the state of the modern fire service in the United States.
6. Formulate a vision of the future direction of the fire service in the United States based on its history.
7. Analyze the impacts of the fire service on people it has served as it evolved.
Course Offered Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023