COM 120 - Media Literacy
An introduction to the critical consumption of media. This course will focus on the ability to access, analyze, evaluate and communicate the process of creating and interpreting media in a variety of forms.
New SUNY General Education: SUNY - Arts
Retiring SUNY General Education: SUNY-A - The Arts (SART)
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH), MCC-CT - Critical Thinking (MCT), MCC-IL - Information Literacy (MIL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify the signs and symbols used as elements of a system of meaning in media messages.
2. Access media in a variety of forms.
3. Produce media in a variety of forms.
4. Explain various ways in which a message is tailored to an audience.
5. Analyze various ways in which audiences perceive messages.
6. Evaluate the viewpoints embedded in, or omitted from, media messages.
7. Evaluate the influence of media messages on society.
8. Explain how media messages are a form of rhetoric.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023