ECE 150 - Exploring Early Care and Education
This course will lay the foundation for understanding the field of early childhood education. Child development pre-birth through age 8 will be discussed. Participants will gain an understanding of how to arrange a safe, healthy learning environment, while focusing on a child's social emotional well being. Supportive guidance techniques will be addressed, as well as observation and assessment skills, in addition to the value and importance of play in children's lives.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify Child Development milestones in children birth-age 8.
2. Identify safe environments conducive to early learning.
3. Identify healthy habits and routines for children.
4. Evaluate classroom learning environments conducive to early learning.
5. Explain strategies that encourage socio-emotional development.
6. Identify guidance techniques for children in their most formative years.
7. Design a lesson plan for preschoolers ages 3-5.
8. Create a nutritional menu for preschoolers ages 3-5.
9. Observe the learning environment in an early childhood setting.
10. Create a multi-dimensional floor plan of an early childhood classroom.
11. Analyze the value of play for young children.
Course Offered Fall, Spring