FSA 108 - Principles of Healthy Cooking
Through this combination lecture and hands-on laboratory course, students will become familiar with basic nutrition principles upon which healthy menus can be built. Students will learn techniques and ingredient selection for preparing healthy classical and modern cuisine, as well as how to analyze and modify the nutrient content of recipes.
Prerequisite: FSA 106 (may be taken concurrently or previously completed).
MCC General Education: MCC-HW - Health and Wellness (MHW)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the nutrients in food and their relationship to health.
2. Apply nutrition principles to planning healthy menus.
3. Demonstrate techniques in the preparation of healthy menu items.
4. Analyze the nutritional content of a recipe.
5. Interpret food labels and ingredient lists.
6. Make appropriate modifications to recipes, including ingredient substitution, to improve the nutritional composition of a menu item.
7. Create healthy menus.
8. Produce healthy cuisine using classical or modern methods.
Course Offered Fall
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023