PLE 103 - The Community and Policing: Serving Special Populations
This course is designed to give each officer insight into the cultural diversity and special needs of the community he/she will serve. Special emphasis is placed on ethical issues, stress and community resources and services. The course will also teach the officer how to effectively and compassionately deal with child abuse cases, emotionally disturbed persons, conflict management and persons with disabilities, as well as how to become a crime prevention resource. Advanced defensive tactics training with proficiency testing and advanced physical fitness and wellness training and final testing included in this course. Must be a sworn police officer or peace officer employed or sponsored by a law enforcement agency.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Respond effectively to critical incidents and emergency situations.
2. Apply the principles of community-oriented policing.
3. Interact effectively with special needs populations.
4. Apply advanced defensive tactics skills.
5. Demonstrate advanced physical fitness levels that meet police academy graduating standards.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Spring Semester 2023