DAS 120 - Clinical Dental Assisting Practice
This course is the clinical phase of the program and will emphasize practical application of clinical dental assisting skills as students rotate through various dental practice facilities. Students will have opportunities to observe procedures, actively practice dental assisting functions and work with dental professionals in general dentistry and specialty practice settings. A conference component provides an opportunity to discuss clinical experiences, introduce advanced and alternative treatment modalities, discuss patient education and patient management issues, learn about medically compromised patients and emergency procedures and discuss ethical, legal and professionalism issues related to dental practice and patient treatment.
Prerequisite(s): Successful completion of DAS 110, DEN 111, DEN 112, DEN 113, DEN 211.
MCC General Education: MCC-VE - Values and Ethics (MVE)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Apply the knowledge and skills of dental assisting to clinical sites.
2. Describe ethical and legal issues related to professional practice.
3. Explain a process for making an ethical decision.
4. Describe common medical and dental emergencies.
5. Describe procedures for management of emergencies in a dental treatment setting.
6. Identify common medically compromised patient populations.
7. Describe effective procedures to manage medically compromised patients.
8. Describe the concept of cultural competence.
9. Explain various models used to describe individual's identification of culture and diversity.
10. Discuss the influences of culture and diversity on the patient's understanding of disease and health.
11. Explain strategies to implement culturally and linguistically competent dental health care.
12. Describe clinical issues at clinical sites.
13. Explain alternatives in treatment procedures at clinical sites.
14. Prepare a table clinic presentation.
15. Execute a table clinic presentation.
Course Offered Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023
Summer Session 2023