New and Updated Course Descriptions
DEN 217 - Dental Specialties
This course examines the essential components, clinical procedures performed, and armamentarium (instruments/equipment) used in the various dental specialties. Students will learn the interactive roles of each dental team member in the practice of the dental specialties. Introduction to the clinical advances and new trends in dentistry is included.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of all previous semesters DEN courses with a grade of C or better.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Compare the dental specialties as identified by the American Dental Association.
2. Identify and describe the target patient populations in each of the dental specialties.
3. Compare and contrast the instruments and armamentarium used in each dental specialty.
4. Discuss the functions of dental professionals within each dental specialty.
5. Discuss specific patient education issues for each dental specialty.
6. Discuss common patient questions regarding each dental specialty and prepare an appropriate response to each question.
7. Evaluate current topics related to dentistry such as: Laser Therapy, Cosmetic Dentistry, Myofunctional Therapy, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and Implants.
Course Offered Fall
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2020
Summer Session 2020