DEN 110 - Dental Health Education
Emphasis is placed on the philosophies of education, communication skills and motivational techniques as they apply to individuals and group health education. Also included are planning, organizing and evaluating chair-side dental health education, methods of presentation, and use resource material.
Prerequisite: Minimum grade of C is required in this course to continue in the program for DEN students.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe effective communication skills.
2. Identify various learning styles.
3. Recognize diversity in patient populations.
4. Define a professional code of ethics in accordance with the New York State Dental Hygiene Practice Act.
5. Identify oral self-care techniques and materials.
6. Assess oral self-care needs on case studies.
7. Identify individualized patient education strategies.
8. Identify referral services based on patient's medical and dental needs.
Course Offered Fall