New and Updated Course Descriptions
OPT 255 - Photonics
This course covers foundational topics required for the understanding of how light is used to transmit digital information. Emphasis will be placed on awareness of, and basic knowledge about, important technologies and applications in modern photonics industry. Topics include lasers, image display, fibers and communications, integrated optics, and medical applications. Lab activities and visits to local industry stress work-related knowledge and skills
Prerequisite(s): OPT 151
MCC General Education: MCC-TL - Technological Literacy (MTL)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the important types of lasers.
2. Explain practical applications of lasers.
3. Discuss how lasers are used in the medical field.
4. Explain the uses of optical fiber.
5. Explain the differences between various types of optical fiber.
6. List important fiber-based or non-fiber-based optical sensors.
7. Describe applications for integrated optics.
8. Explain how an LCD (liquid crystal display) depends on the properties of polarized light.
9. Compare integrated optics applications.
10.Describe how a hologram is created.
11.Describe how holograms compare with other image display technologies.
Course Offered Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023