New and Updated Course Descriptions
HVA 104 - Commercial Air Conditioning and Heat Pumps
Deals with the basic principles of air conditioning as they are applied to large commercial systems. The principles of heat pumps will be included. Topics covered include: gas and electric heating/cooling of top units, economizers and large air distribution systems.
Prerequisite(s): HVA 101 and HVA 102; both may be taken concurrently or previously completed.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify the components of the mechanical heat pump cycle.
2. Explain the function and operation of the components of the mechanical heat pump cycle.
3. Differentiate between a standard heating cooling thermostat and the heat pump thermostat.
4. Explain the various sources of heat for air-cooled, water-cooled, and geothermal heat pumps.
5. Differentiate between open loop and closed loop heat pump systems.
6. Evaluate refrigerant pipe sizing for a commercial split system.
7. Interpret New York State energy conservation codes applicable to commercial systems.
8. Explain the operation of an Economizer.
9. Explain the operation of a Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV).
10. Explain the operation of an Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV).
Course Offered Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023