New and Updated Course Descriptions
EMS 101 - EMS First Responder
This course is for non-ambulance professional rescuers who are first to arrive at an emergency medical scene to provide pre hospital care. The Certified First Responder uses a limited amount of equipment to perform initial assessment and intervention and is trained to assist and work side by side with other EMS providers. Topics covered are patient assessment, CPR review, airway, shock, wound management, full body immobilization, and initial treatment for other medical emergencies. Students successfully completing this course are eligible for New York State Department of Health Certified First Responder certification.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Identify life threatening conditions using a standardized patient assessment method.
2. Provide necessary medical interventions based on current protocols using minimal equipment.
3. Identify appropriate actions to prevent injury using critical thinking techniques.
4. Use patient assessment to determine tools needed for patient care and emergency scene management.
5. Demonstrate proper use of equipment available to a first responder.
Course Offered Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023