New and Updated Course Descriptions
PPE 208 - Wellness, Exercise, and Sport Psychology
As the demand for enhanced physical performance continues and the focus on Wellness grows, the cognitive or mental aspects within wellness and physical activity is exposed. Wellness, Exercise, and Sport Psychology has evolved through this need. Specifically, this course will relate the application of conventional psychological areas (personality, motivation, aggression, etc.) to the arena of wellness and physical activity. The application of psychological skills to performance and wellness is also an essential element of this ever-changing field.
New SUNY General Education:
SUNY - Social Sciences
MCC General Education: MCC-CT - Critical Thinking (MCT), MCC-SCI - Scientific Reasoning (MSCI), MCC-SSD - Social Science and Diversity (MSSD)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate an understanding of and differentiate between three theories of personality development and, through various projects utilizing observation of sport behavior, consider the validity of each theory.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the Yerkes-Dodson Law and utilize a case study to explore the application of the theory to the anxiety/performance relationship.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the Information Processing Model of Concentration and Attention.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the scientific method of research and exploration.
5. Create a system for behavior change for an individual or small group through consideration and application of selected theories of learning.
6. Utilize various theories of Achievement Motivation to develop a coaching model for a specific sport team.
7. Construct a system for the development of Group Cohesion.
8. Research and participate in Cognitive Learning Strategies including imagery, relaxation, self confidence enhancement, positive self-talk, and concentration exercises.
Course Offered Fall, Spring, Summer
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023