New and Updated Course Descriptions
CHI 203 - Intermediate Chinese I
Continued study in Chinese for those with a firm foundation in elementary Chinese communication, written and oral. Grammar and vocabulary are continued at a higher level so that the student develops strong reading and writing skills in order to create complex sentences and short paragraphs. In this class, the student will attain oral and listening skills to successfully function in a variety of daily situations. Cultural topics are included in the study of grammar and structure. Memory and length of time since last studied are factors in successful placement.
Prerequisite(s): CHI 102, or successful completion of equivalent, or permission of the instructor.
New SUNY General Education:
SUNY - World Languages
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH), MCC-BCO - Speaking (MBCO), MCC-GLO - Global Understanding (MGLO)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Create grammatically correct sentences in Chinese using the present.
2. Create grammatically correct sentences in Chinese using the past.
3. Create grammatically correct sentences in Chinese using the future.
4. Answer questions concerning a specific reading passage.
5. Accurately ask and respond in Chinese to questions about one or more of the following: weather, health, current events, past, present, and future events, or friends and family.
6. Present an oral report in Chinese of the information contained in newspapers and other mass-market publications.
7. Identify the cultural traditions associated with China and Taiwan, as well as Chinese speakers worldwide.
8. Compose a brief essay using the Chinese writing system and characters.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023