New and Updated Course Descriptions
FSA 211 - Culinary Arts: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
Students will learn the fundamentals of baking and pastries. Theory and hands-on work will support the students’ understanding of this art and science. This course is intended to give the student a detailed understanding of the components of various bread, cookie and pastry preparation techniques including quick breads, yeast breads, enriched and laminated doughs, cookie mixing methods, pies, tarts, syrups, icings, sauces, custards, creams, and cakes. Students will sample and critique their culinary work.
FSA 106 and FSA 109, each with a grade of C or better.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Apply different mixing techniques, baking processes and predict their outcomes.
2. Demonstrate proper production stages for breads and pastries.
3. Demonstrate fundamental baking techniques.
4. Interpret recipes for the intended outcome.
5. Work effectively as a member of a team.
6. Use basic bakeshop terminology appropriately.
7. Demonstrate tool and equipment techniques.
8. Identify various ingredients, and their uses.
9. Apply correct food safety and sanitation techniques.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023