New and Updated Course Descriptions
CLT 220 - Immunohematology
An introduction to the field of practical Immunohematology and Blood Banking. Emphasis is placed on the theoretical knowledge of human genetics, blood groups, blood cell grouping, blood components, fractionation, storage and washing, transfusion therapies, transfusion reactions, and alloantibody and autoantibody formation. Additionally, good laboratory practices, neatness, organization, attention to detail and professionalism are revisited.
Prerequisite(s): CLT 110; BIO 148 or BIO 155; one of BIO 135, BIO 143 or BIO 145; and CLT 201. Each course with a grade of C or higher.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain the principles of immunology as they apply to development of antibodies directed against red blood cell antigens.
2. Discuss inheritance patterns of common blood group antigens.
3. Accurately complete or interpret common blood bank testing such as: ABO, Rh, Drug Antigen Testing (DAT), antigen typing, antibody screen, antibody identification, or crossmatch testing.
4. Describe pre-examination procedures applicable to Blood Bank.
5. Describe post-examination procedures applicable to Blood Bank.
6. Describe the characteristics of common blood group antigens or antibodies.
7. Explain the clinical significance of blood bank tests or results.
8. Identify agencies that regulate blood banks.
9. Describe regulatory requirements for donor selection, donor testing, blood component labeling, blood component preparation, blood component storage and shipment, pre-transfusion testing, or reporting of adverse effects.
10. Determine the appropriate blood component therapy or accurately select the appropriate product for transfusion, given a clinical scenario.
11. Describe quality assessment practices for immunohematology or transfusion services.
12. Differentiate extravascular and intravascular hemolytic transfusion reactions.
13. Identify the probable causes of transfusion reactions.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023