New and Updated Course Descriptions
FPT 100 - Principles of Fire and Emergency Services
This course provides the student with foundational knowledge in the fire protection and emergency services discipline to include fire service nomenclature, career opportunities, culture and history of emergency services; fire loss analysis; organization and function of public and private fire protection services; fire departments as part of local government; laws and regulations affecting the fire service; introduction to fire protection systems; introduction to fire strategy and tactics; and firefighting life safety initiatives.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the scope of fire and emergency services.
2. Define commonly used emergency services terminology
3. Describe the main factors that influence fire behavior
4.Describe careers in fire protection
5. Define the role support organizations play in fire and emergency services to include national, state and local entities
6. Describe the common types of fire and emergency services resources to include facilities, equipment, and apparatus
7. Compare and contrast effective management concepts emergency services personnel utilize to manage various emergency situations
8. Identify the primary responsibilities of fire protection personnel to include firefighters, fire officers, fire prevention, code enforcement, public information, public fire education, or other emergency services response and support personnel.
9. Describe the various types of fire protection systems
10. Describe the importance of maintaining the health of firefighters to include scene safety, wellness, or fitness
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023