New and Updated Course Descriptions
ART 104 - Drawing I: Foundation
An introductory course that provides the student with experiences in working with a variety of subject matter and media. Various methods and materials (such as graphite, charcoal, conte crayon, and ink) will be explored, and a variety of mixed media techniques will be introduced. A range of drawing concepts will be covered including line, mass, texture, value, color, composition, and space. Emphasis is placed on the development of observational and technical skills needed for image making. Students are responsible for purchasing their own materials for this course.
New SUNY General Education:
SUNY - Arts
MCC General Education: MCC-AH - Arts and Humanities (MAH)
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate proficiency with the basic techniques that will develop observational drawing skills such as contour, proportion, perspective, shading and mark-making.
2. Exhibit effective compositional and design structures as they relate to the drawing process.
3. Utilize a range of drawing media and techniques that may include pencil, ink, charcoal, conte' crayon and soft pastels .
4. Demonstrate the relationship between formal techniques, subject matter and content, through the successful completion of drawings.
5. Analyze drawings in formal terms.
6. Demonstrate proficiency with basic color concepts and techniques as they relate to the drawing process.
7. Relate art historical concepts to studio practice.
8. Critically evaluate one’s own work and the work of others.
Course Offered Fall, Spring
Use links below to see if this course is offered:
Fall Semester 2023