Department: Applied Technologies
CIP Code: 47.0104
MCC Program Code: AT02
NYSED Code (BRI): 26473
The Certificate in Automotive Technology is a two-year program for students who do not wish to pursue a degree. This program is designed for students who are currently working or would prefer to enter the work force as soon as possible. Each specialized subject is dealt with in the classroom and the hands-on laboratory. The courses in this certificate program are the same credit bearing courses offered in the degree program and are applicable should the student decide at a later date to pursue the AAS degree in Automotive Technology at MCC. Monroe Community College is offering this program to students in the western region of New York State (Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo). Automotive Technology - Coop Seminar: Career related seminar offered on hour per week (15 hours); prepares students for their coop in-dealership experience. One credit.
(Housed in the Applied Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Demonstrate the use of soft skills necessary for successful employment within the automotive service industry.
2) Communicate effectively in an automotive service setting.
3) Apply mathematical skills as appropriate to fulfill job responsibilities.
4) Demonstrate competency in OSHA safety practices through the successful completion of S/P2’s Pollution and Safety exams.
5) Perform current vehicle engine service to NATEF standards.
6) Perform current vehicle brake service to NATEF standards
7) Perform current vehicle electrical and electronic systems service to NATEF standards.
8) Perform current vehicle suspension and steering systems service to NATEF standards.
9) Perform current vehicle heating and air conditioning systems service to NATEF standards.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Elementary Algebra with Geometry (or MTH 098 currently registered in or higher.) Valid driver's license. Placement into ENG 101.
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 9 Credit Hours|
|ATP 101 Introduction to Automotive Technology||5|
|ATP 140 Automotive Technology Coop Seminar||1|
|ENG 101 College Composition||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 9 Credit Hours|
|ATP 102 Electrical/Electronic Systems 1 - Automotive||3|
|MTH 104 Intermediate Algebra OR|
MTH 135 Introduction to Technical Mathematics* OR
MTH 164 Introduction to Trigonometry AND MTH 165 College Algebra OR
MTH 175 Precalculus Mathematics with Analytic Geometry (or higher)
|ATP 171 Automotive Technology - Coop I||2|
|SUMMER SEMESTER: 10.5 Credit Hours|
|ATP 105 Brakes - Automotive||4.5|
|ATP 103 Electrical 2 - Automotive||4|
|ATP 172 Automotive Technology - Coop II||2|
|THIRD SEMESTER: 7 Credit Hours|
|ATP 106 Steering and Suspension - Automotive||5|
|ATP 173 Automotive Technology - Coop III||2|
|FOURTH SEMESTER: 5 Credit Hours|
|ATP 109 Heating and Air Conditioning - Automotive||3|
|ATP 174 Automotive Technology - Coop IV||2|
|SUMMER SEMESTER: 4 Credit Hours|
|ATP 108 Engine Repair - Automotive||4|
|TOTAL CREDITS AUTOMOTIVE TRAINING APPRENTICE PROGRAM (A-TAP: CERTIFICATE)||44.5|