CIP Code: 12.0505
MCC Program Code: HM09
NYSED Code (BRI): 01246
The Culinary Arts Certificate program is for the student who is primarily interested in a Culinary Arts concentration without the broad liberal arts background. A graduate of the Culinary Arts Certificate program will have established a basis for a career in the food service industry, and will qualify for a position as an entry-level culinary professional in a commercial or institutional food service operation.
(Housed in the Hospitality Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Demonstrate the ability to apply proper food handling techniques.
2) Apply different cooking techniques and predict their outcome.
3) Discuss current trends in the food service industry from a menu planning perspective.
4) Assess the factors that influence healthy food choices throughout the life cycle.
5) Demonstrate the basic fundamentals of cooking in a professional kitchen.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC).
|FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|FSA 103 Culinary Arts I: Fundamentals of Food Preparation||5|
|FSA 106 Food Safety and Sanitation||1|
|FSA 107 Menu Planning||3|
|HSP 102 Hospitality Service||4|
|FOOD SERVICE ADMINISTRATION ELECTIVE*||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|FSA 117 Basic Consumer Nutrition||3|
|FSA 203 Culinary Arts II: Advanced Food Production||5|
|C E 260 Cooperative Education-Hospitality Management*||4|
|FOOD SERVICE ADMINISTRATION ELECTIVE**||3|
* CE 260 can be taken during the summer
** Food Service Administration Elective Options: FSA 108, FSA 110, FSA 111, FSA 205, FSA 207, FSA 208, FSA 209.
NOTE: Please see the Hospitality Management A.A.S. Degree - Food Service and Culinary Arts, for a degree option to the Certificate program.