This course of study is recommended for students who plan to transfer and earn the baccalaureate degree with a major in music. It provides basic preparation for a career in music. In the program, a balance is maintained between courses dealing with general musical knowledge and those courses designed to develop a particular music skill. A variety of performing organizations provide students with ensemble experience and with opportunities for public performances. Students will also be required to take a minimum of 15 one-hour lessons each semester. The cost of lessons is not included in MCC tuition. Recommended Preparation: Students who plan to complete this course of study in two years should have experience in vocal or instrumental performance and reading music. Entering students must prepare two contrasting pieces for a music area audition. To find out about audition dates, please contact the department secretary at 292-2047.
(Housed in the Visual and Performing Arts Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Analyze theoretical structures of written music
2) Explain theoretical structures of aural music
3) Perform with proficiency on their primary instrument (which may include voice)
4) Perform with functional proficiency selected musical techniques and compositions on piano
5) Sight sing or sight read on an instrument accurately from printed music with respect to pitch and rhythm
6) Transcribe music accurately with respect to pitch and rhythm through repeated hearings
7) Perform collaboratively in an ensemble
8) Describe selected styles of music for form and/or content and/or instrumentation as it developed throughout the history of written music
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC). Experience in vocal or instrumental performance and reading music recommended. Audition required.
Students should be aware of the course requirements of the college to which they plan to transfer.
A minimum of 15 lessons are required per semester. Cost of lessons is not included in MCC tuition.
** Major Performing Organization include: MUS 108, MUS 114, MUS 140, MUS 141, MUS 142, MUS 145, MUS 146.
*** If below 85 on U.S. History Regents Exam, choose from HIS 111, HIS 112. If 85 or above on U.S. History Regents Exam, choose from: HIS 103, HIS 104, HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 200, HIS 211, HIS 240; HSM 103; POS 102.
+ Select any course from any area in the SUNY General Education Course Plan.
Printer Friendly Version