HEATING, VENTILATING, AIR CONDITIONING
Department: Applied Technologies
School: Applied Sciences & Technologies
CIP Code: 47.0201
MCC Program Code: HV02
NYSED Code (BRI): 85118
The Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning certificate program is designed for both the student who is seeking an entry level position as a preventative maintenance mechanic or installation/service technician, and those currently employed in the field of heating, ventilating, and air conditioning or related areas.
Students interested in this program may also be interested in the Solar Thermal Technology Certificate.
(Housed in the Applied Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Install new HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
2) Perform testing and adjustment of HVAC/R equipment for proper operation to manufacturer OEM standards.
3) Perform service and maintenance on HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
4) Diagnose common malfunctions and perform corrective repairs for HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
5) Interpret electrical control wiring diagrams for HVAC/R control systems.
6) Design and size HVAC/R systems to Manual J standards.
7) Select HVAC/R systems for appropriate applications.
8) Outline strategies to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy consumption of HVAC/R equipment.
9) Demonstrate the use of soft skills to gain employment, and as required within the HVAC/R industry.
10) Work effectively alone or in team environments as required within the HVAC/R industry.
11) Demonstrate effective oral skills for successful employment within the HVAC/R industry.
12) Demonstrate effective written communication skills for successful employment within the HVAC/R industry.
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: http://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
Elementary Algebra with Geometry (or Math 098 at MCC).
| Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|REQUIRED COURSES: 32 Credit Hours|
|HVA 101 Basic Refrigeration Theory ||3|
|HVA 102 Air Conditioning Theory ||3|
|HVA 103 Heating Systems||3|
|HVA 104 Commercial Air Conditioning and Heat Pumps ||3|
|HVA 105 Electric and Motor Controls||3|
|HVA 106 HVAC Workplace Training||3|
|HVA ELECTIVES (200 or higher)||6|
|MATHEMATICS ELECTIVE* ||3-4|
|PHY 100 Preparatory Physics OR|
PHY 131 Applied Physics I or higher (except PHY 141)
* MTH 104 or MTH 135 or MTH 140 or MTH 141 or MTH 165 or MTH 175 or higher
Printer Friendly Version