Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning
- Department of Applied Technologies
THE WORLD NEEDS MORE HVAC ENERGY EFFICIENCY EXPERTS AND YOU CAN LEAD THE WAY
Technology for climate control and energy efficiency is advancing rapidly—and so are career opportunities in the HVAC industry. You’ll gain timely, hands-on training when you join the heating, ventilating, air conditioning certificate program at Monroe Community College.
After only two semesters, you’ll be ready to advance into many positions, including:
- Refrigeration mechanic and installer
- Home appliance repairer
- Service technician
- Systems detailer/designer
- Refrigeration technician
- Construction and building inspector
You may even earn course credit based on prior learning. See if you qualify.
This affordable program will introduce you to green technologies such as solar. You’ll work in state-of-the-art labs designed and built by Siemens Energy Management.
Build in-demand skills that can help you get started in the workforce – or spark professional growth if you’re already employed as an HVAC technician.
GET ESSENTIAL HVAC TRAINING IN LESS THAN ONE YEAR
In the two-semester heating, ventilating, air conditioning certificate program at MCC, you’ll get practical training on the essentials:
Our heating, ventilation & air conditioning department designed the program for students seeking entry-level positions as preventative maintenance mechanics or installation/service technicians, as well as for HVAC professionals who want to enhance their skills and job prospects.
Many local HVAC companies are eager to hire better trained heating and cooling professionals. Start your career or advance in the ranks with employers like these:
- John Betlem Heating & Cooling
- ULT Services, LLC
- Berkshire Solar, Wind, Heating and Cooling
- Isaac Heating & Cooling
- Hawn Heating & Cooling
- Siemens Energy Management
You may also be interested in specializing with a solar thermal technology certificate or continuing your studies in the air conditioning technology: heating & ventilation associate degree program.
To find out more about the heating, ventilating, air conditioning certificate from Monroe Community College, contact the admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 292-2200.
HEATING, VENTILATING, AIR CONDITIONING
School(s): Applied Sciences & TechnologiesMCC Program Code: HV02
The Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning certificate program is designed for both the student who is seeking an entry level position as a preventative maintenance mechanic or installation/service technician, and those currently employed in the field of heating, ventilating, and air conditioning or related areas.
Students interested in this program may also be interested in the Solar Thermal Technology Certificate.
(Housed in the Applied Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1) Install new HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
2) Perform testing and adjustment of HVAC/R equipment for proper operation to manufacturer OEM standards.
3) Perform service and maintenance on HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
4) Diagnose common malfunctions and perform corrective repairs for HVAC/R equipment to manufacturer OEM standards.
5) Interpret electrical control wiring diagrams for HVAC/R control systems.
6) Design and size HVAC/R systems to Manual J standards.
7) Select HVAC/R systems for appropriate applications.
8) Outline strategies to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy consumption of HVAC/R equipment.
9) Demonstrate the use of soft skills to gain employment, and as required within the HVAC/R industry.
10) Work effectively alone or in team environments as required within the HVAC/R industry.
11) Demonstrate effective oral skills for successful employment within the HVAC/R industry.
12) Demonstrate effective written communication skills for successful employment within the HVAC/R industry.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Elementary Algebra with Geometry (or Math 098 at MCC).
|REQUIRED COURSES: 32 Credit Hours|
|HVA 101 Basic Refrigeration Theory||3|
|HVA 102 Air Conditioning Theory||3|
|HVA 103 Heating Systems||3|
|HVA 104 Commercial Air Conditioning and Heat Pumps||3|
|HVA 105 Electric and Motor Controls||3|
|HVA 106 HVAC Workplace Training||3|
|HVA ELECTIVES (200 or higher)||6|
|PHY 100 Preparatory Physics OR|
PHY 131 Applied Physics I or higher (except PHY 141)
* MTH 104 or MTH 135 or MTH 140 or MTH 141 or MTH 165 or MTH 175 or higher