DIRECT DISABILITY SUPPORT SERVICES
School(s): Community Engagement & DevelopmentMCC Program Code: DD02
CIP Code: 44.9999
NYSED Code (BRI): 36367
NYSED Code (DCC): 36368
The Certificate Program is designed for individuals who want to learn the skills necessary to work in the field of disabilities and/or who may possess entry level positions in the disability field and want to further their education and training in this area.Certificate holders may go on to earn the A.A.S. Degree in Human Services or the A.S. Degree in Human Services by adding to their program courses appropriately distributed according to the requirements for the degree they are seeking.
Students must be qualified to take ENG 101 in order to register for the HUM 101 and HUM 111.
(Housed in the Human Services Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Describe various contemporary issues in the field of direct disability support services in order to provide support that is responsive to these issues to individuals with disabilities.
2. Identify and discuss community, natural, and systemic support services for people with significant disabilities.
3. Explain the differences in the roles and responsibilities of professionals in disability services systems and describe how care is provided to client/consumers in various care settings.
4. Describe and defend the important role of compliance and regulations in the field of direct disability support services.
5. Employ individualized assessments and develop plans using a person centered approach to determine services needed by consumers.
6. Select and report the necessary information to complete documentation procedures and materials for individuals in various systems of the direct disability support services field.
7. Develop positive behavior support planning for individuals with disabilities that facilitates communication, relationship-building, and independent decision-making in the community.
8. Examine the relationship between his/her own values and behaviors, including professional boundaries, ethics, and confidentiality and analyze how this relationship impacts the support of individuals with disabilities
Requirements for Program Entrance
High school graduate or high school equivalency diploma. Placement into ENG 101.
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours||4|
|HUM 101 Introduction to Human Services||2|
|HUM 111 Fieldwork in Human Services I||3|
|HUM 130 Introduction to the Disability Support Services Field||3|
|HUM 135 Roles and Responsibilities in Disability Support Services||3|
|HUM 210 Disability Across the Lifespan||3|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15 Credit Hours|
|HUM 102 Basic Human Services Skills||4|
|HUM 112 Fieldwork in Human Services II||2|
|HUM 230 Individualized Planning and Documentation for Disability Support Services||3|
|HUM 235 Supporting and Communicating with People with Significant Disabilities||3|
|HUM 236 Contemporary Issues in the Field of Disability Support Services||3|
Printer Friendly Version