FIRE PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY
Department:Public Safety Training Center
School(s): Applied Sciences & TechnologiesMCC Program Code: FR01
CIP Code: 43.0201
NYSED Code (BRI): 01256
Fire Protection Technology AAS degree is designed to explore the application of technology to the field of fire protection. The curriculum prepares students to meet the challenges of contemporary problems in the fire protection disciplines. Employment and advancement opportunities for graduates are found in both the municipal and industrial fire protection field, marketing and support of fire suppression and detection systems, and safety departments of mid to large size companies. Most Fire Protection courses meet in the evening.
(Housed in the PSTF-Emergency Management)
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the history of the Fire Service from its inception to include key events that have impacted the development of the present-day Fire Service.
2. Describe the basic science of fire.
3. Compare how each type of building construction influences fire protection.
4. Describe the operation of fire detection systems.
5. Perform a basic fire inspection.
6. Discuss steps to increase life safety relative to fire suppression.
7. Apply theoretical hydraulic principles to fire suppression to include fire stream size, master streams, foam application, or water supply.
8. Describe health and wellness best practices in the fire service.
9. Establish the Incident Command System.
10. Apply the basic principles of fire investigation to include cause, origin, or evidence preservation.
11. Formulate a fire incident action plan utilizing fire suppression strategies and tactics.
12. Describe the operation of fire suppression systems.
13. Perform emergency medical care within the scope of practice of an Emergency Medical Technician.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC).
| ENG 101 College Composition OR|
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
| MTH 150 Survey of Mathematics OR|
MTH 152 Survey of Mathematics for Technicians OR
MTH 160 Statistics I OR higher#
|FPT 101 Fire Behavior and Combustion|
|FPT 102 Fire Prevention and Inspection|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - HUMANITIES (SUNY-H) ELECTIVE**|
First Semester Total:
|FPT 103 Building Materials and Construction|
|FPT 105 History of the Fire Service|
|SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - NATURAL SCIENCES (SUNY-NS) ELECTIVE|
Second Semester Total:
|FPT 211 Fire Investigation: Cause and Origin|
|FPT 215 Hazardous Materials Technician|
| FPT 216 Fire Service Instructor I OR |
FPT 260 Contemporary Issues in the Fire Service
|EMS 110 Emergency Medical Technician|
Third Semester Total:
|FPT 204 Fire Service Strategy and Tactics|
|FPT 212 Fire Service Hydraulics|
|ECO 103 Personal Money Management OR|
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - SOCIAL SCIENCES (SUNY-SS) ELECTIVE
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION ELECTIVE*|
Fourth Semester Total:
*Choose any course from the following SUNY-GER categories: SUNY-AH, SUNY-BC, SUNY-FL, SUNY-H, SUNY-M, SUNY-NS, SUNY-OWC, SUNY-SS, SUNY-WC.
**Choose any SUNY-H course; recommended: SPC 141, SPC 142, or SPC 144; PHL 103, or PHL 250
#MTH course selected must qualify for MCC-QL.
Printer Friendly Version