Department:Chemistry and Geosciences
School(s): Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)MCC Program Code: LSC1
CIP Code: 40.0501
NYSED Code (BRI): 37105
New, Transfer, or Re-admit students should contact Admissions at (585) 292-2200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Chemistry A.S. degree program prepares students to transfer and earn a Baccalaureate degree in Chemistry or a related area, by providing both chemistry and general education courses that parallel the first two years at a four-year institution.
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of general inorganic and organic chemistry principles and concepts (such as atomic and molecular structure, chemical bonding, conformational analysis, stereochemistry, types of chemical reactions, dynamics, equilibrium, thermochemistry, electrochemistry, and IUPAC nomenclature).
2. Use dimensional analysis to perform unit conversions and stoichiometry problems.
3. Analyze chemical reactions based on starting materials, reaction conditions, mechanistic thinking, and retrosynthetic analysis.
4. Perform routine laboratory tasks in the chemistry laboratory using common instrumentation and laboratory materials while adhering to well-established safety protocols.
5. Collect, interpret, evaluate and draw conclusions from scientific data using technology as needed.
6. Communicate scientific concepts and data in multiple formats.
For related jobs: Career Coach
Occupational Resource: https://www.onetonline.org
Requirements for Program Entrance
MCC level 9 Mathematics placement or MTH 165 with a minimum grade of C AND CHE 145 with a minimum grade of C or Chemistry Regents course grade of 75 or higher (students who did not take the Chemistry Regents course should contact the Department Chair.
Chemistry requirement: Regents Chemistry (exam score >/= 70) OR CHE 145 (grade of C or better).
| ENG 101 College Composition OR|
ENG 200 Advanced Composition
|MTH 210 Calculus I|
|CHE 151 General College Chemistry I|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - SOCIAL SCIENCES (SUNY-SS) ELECTIVE|
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - HEALTH AND WELLNESS (MCC-HW) ELECTIVE|
First Semester Total:
|MTH 211 Calculus II|
|CHE 152 General College Chemistry II|
| SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - THE ARTS (SUNY-A) OR |
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - FOREIGN LANGUAGES (SUNY-FL) OR
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - AMERICAN HISTORY (SUNY-AH) ELECTIVE
|MCC GENERAL EDUCATION - VALUES AND ETHICS (MCC-VE) ELECTIVE|
Second Semester Total:
|CHE 251 Organic Chemistry I|
|PHY 161 University Physics I|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - HUMANITIES (SUNY-H) ELECTIVE|
Third Semester Total:
|CHE 252 Organic Chemistry II|
|PHY 261 University Physics II|
|SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - OTHER WORLD CIVILIZATIONS (SUNY-OWC) OR|
SUNY GENERAL EDUCATION - WESTERN CIVILIZATION (SUNY-WC)
Fourth Semester Total:
Printer Friendly Version