PRECISION MACHINING - OPTICAL FABRICATION
School(s): Applied Sciences & TechnologiesMCC Program Code: PM04
CIP Code: 15.0613
NYSED Code (BRI): 31779
This certificate program is designed to prepare graduates for employment in the precision machining industry with special emphasis on optical fabrication. Optical fabrication is the manufacturing of optical components used in lasers, fiber optics, and digital imaging. Students will learn the principles and practices of precision metalworking and then apply these skills to the materials used in fiber optics, digital imaging, lasers, and other technological applications.
(Housed in the Applied Technologies Department)
Program Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate necessary soft skills to acquire a job within a manufacturing industry.
2. Perform manual machine part production to industry standards.
3. Perform computer numerical machine part production to industry standards.
4. Demonstrate measurement techniques necessary for successful employment.
5. Compose machine tool programs necessary for successful employment.
6. Demonstrate written technical communication skills.
7. Apply mathematical skills to solve industrial problems.
8. Interpret engineering models for part production.
9. Follow standard safety practices used in industry.
Requirements for Program Entrance
Algebra (1 year high school math or placement into Level 4 Math at MCC).
|Distribution Requirements||Credit Hours|
|FIRST SEMESTER: 16 Credit Hours|
|TAM 105 Machine Project Laboratory OR|
|TAM 121 Mathematics for Machinists I||3|
|TAM 131 Machine Shop Print Reading I||3|
|OPT 110 Introduction to Optical Technology||3|
|OPT 131 Optical Elements and Ray Optics||4|
|SECOND SEMESTER: 15-16 Credit Hours|
|ENG 101 College Composition OR|
ENG 200 Advanced Composition OR
CRC 101 Practical Computer Literacy
|OPT 135 Measurement and Analysis OR |
TAM 138 Dimensional Metrology
|OPT 151 Optical Instruments and Testing||4|
|TAM 139 CNC Vertical Machine Tool Programming I||3|
|TAM 205 CNC Machine Project Laboratory||2|
|OPT 135 Measurement and Analysis||4|
|OPT 201 Photo Science||4|
|OPT 211 Wave Optics and Applications||4|
|OPT 213 Optical Processes||4|
|OPT 215 Electro-Optical Devices and Systems||5|
|OPT 235 Advanced Optical Manufacturing||3|
NOTE: Students currently working in the precision machining industry may substitute a TAM/OPT elective for TAM 105, based on work experience and approval of a faculty advisor.
All students enrolled in the program should take the MCC placement exam for advisement prior to registration. It is recommended that students have a minimum of 2 years of high school math or place MTH 104 or higher on the placement exam prior to enrolling in this program. Please seek advisement from the TAM/OPT Coordinator or faculty prior to registration. Call 585-292-3725 for advisement times.
Printer Friendly Version