Effective advisement requires a partnership between the advisor and the student.
Become an Active Participant in your Career Decision-Making Process.
- Responsibly engage in the advising process by discovering your interests, skills, values, and personality
- Develop realistic and attainable educational and career goals and identify ways to assess your progress
- Follow through on actions discussed and identified by you and your advisor
- Find out how co-op, internship, or community experience can help confirm your career choice
- Take responsibility to make your own career choices
Prepare for your Advisement.
- Come prepared with a list of questions that you want to ask your advisor
- Plan course selections according to major requirements and educational goals
- Be prepared with accurate information and relevant materials (Degree Works worksheet, transfer credit information, etc.)
- Determine ahead of time your outside commitments and how these will affect scheduling your classes
- Understand your learning style and seek out instructors who complement this style
Plan for Graduation.
- Research career opportunities available to graduates from your degree program
- Seek out the academic and career information needed to meet your educational goals
- Consult with an advisor before changing your schedule or major, transferring or withdrawing from the College
- Apply to graduate online by signing in to myMCC account at my.monroecc.edu