Effective advisement requires a partnership between the advisor and the student.
Assist Students Through a Self Assessment Process.
- Understand the career decision-making process
- Explore barriers to decision making
- Possess skills in helping students explore their personality, interests, goals, values, and skills
Assist Students with Exploring their Career Goals.
- Promote activities that examine career goals
- Understand the changing nature of work in today’s society
- Be familiar with new emerging vocational fields
Assist Students with Choosing a Major.
- Know the career and transfer programs available at the college
- Know the requirements of majors (special entrance requirements)
- Know the success of the program degree/major graduates
- Refer students to other campus resources
Assist Students with Selecting Courses.
- Know available courses
- Know special information about the courses (prerequisites)
- Know rules and regulations of the college
- Know honors and developmental courses
- Know instructors and their teaching styles
- Know course content